Main Office:
Telephone: (250) 723 5312
Fax: (250) 723 1114

History

The Alberni Inlet is named after Don Pedro de Alberni, a captain in the Spanish Army. Alberni commanded a military outpost in Nootka Sound from 1790 to 1792. In 1860, a tall-masted schooner, the “Meg Merrilies” moored in the Alberni Inlet. The ship’s crew constructed the first saw mill in what was to become British Columbia. The mill was managed by Captain Stamp and Gilbert Malcolm Sproat.
The economic activity generated by the mill facilitated development of a local economy and an influx of European settlers. Prior to contact, the Alberni Valley was inhabited by the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations.
In 1964, Alberni was struck by a Tsunami generated in an Alaskan earthquake. Water levels rose 19 feet as the Tsunami flooded the low laying areas of the City.

Proud Members of